Young Life Africa/Middle East is looking for an excited, capable and passionate person to lead its vital sponsorship program that connects local staff people with Stateside donors in life-giving and faith-growing partnerships. This person will have the opportunity to bridge the gap between day-to-day ministry happening on the ground in Africa/ME and people in the U.S. with a heart for international ministry by cultivating cross-continental relationships that lead to effective ministry partnerships.
Do you have a passion to connect people around the world with each other? Do you desire to see Young Life in Africa/ME become fully funded through life-giving, relationship-centered partnerships? Do you have extensive Young Life knowledge and the ability to work cross-culturally to build effective relationships? If this sounds like you, this is the job for you!
Engage Prospective Donors to be Country and Staff Sponsors
- If fully funded, country and staff sponsorships cover all costs associated with in-country field operations for Young Life Africa/Middle East. Country sponsorships are $35,000 per year, and staff sponsorships are $12,000 per year; both sponsorships are expected to carry a three-year commitment. Currently Africa/Middle East has approximately 165 sponsorable staff and 26 sponsorable countries. Approximately 40% of our staff are sponsored, and 70% of our countries are sponsored. By 2022, our target is to be 80% sponsored in both categories.
- Once established in the position (expected timeframe target to be agreed upon), this position is expected to:
- Personally add an average of one to two new staff or country sponsorships each month through prospecting of new sponsor candidates and cultivation of relationships of current friends of Young Life Africa/Middle East.
- Lead efforts among division development staff to add an additional two to four new staff or country sponsorships each month.
- Coordinate with the sponsorship coordinator for onboarding of new sponsors.
Engage Prospective Donors to be Camp Sponsors or Match Donors
- Camp in Africa/Middle East costs approximately $40/camper. This year we expect more than 100,000 campers. This number is expected to increase by about 40% per year. Camp is funded by a variety of initiatives and campaigns.
- Along with the sponsorship coordinator and development director, develop new camp funding strategies to provide sustainable sources of funds for camp.
- Oversee and help execute a camp sponsorship campaign involving committee and regional teams.
- Develop innovative strategies to expand camp or kid sponsorships for camp using social media and other means of mass appeal.
- Coordinate with the sponsorship coordinator to engage and communicate with camp sponsors.
Engage Prospective Donors to be Continent and Regional Block Sponsors
- Sustaining givers and regional block sponsors provide funding to enable Young Life Africa/Middle East to fund operations not covered by unfunded staff and country sponsorships, to provide resources for continent or regional training and provide venture capital for expansion of operations on the continent of Africa. Sustaining givers provide multi-year commitments of $300,000 or more per year, and regional block sponsorships contribute $250,000 per year; both sponsorships are expected to carry at least a three-year commitment.
- Support activities of the development director and senior vice president (SVP) of Young Life Africa/Middle East, and work to cultivate relationships sufficient to allow us to engage selected donors to be continent or regional sponsors.
- Coordinate with Young Life Africa/Middle East staff for onboarding of new sponsors.
- Develop prospects (working with the senior vice president and development director) and, when appropriate, act as a primary caller or a secondary caller available to participate in donor solicitation meetings.
- Use Salesforce to manage divisional sponsorship PPL.
- Participate in the activities of committee and regional teams to develop relationships with the current donor base. Work specifically with regional team leaders on finding sponsors for unfunded staff in their regions and work with committee and regional team members to engage their friends in sponsorship invitations.
- Along with the sponsorship coordinator, plan and carry out all supporting activities for the Camp Sponsorship Campaign such as donor events, communications strategies (in coordination with Young Life Africa/Middle East communications staff), and recognition programs and other related activities and materials.
- Submit updated sponsorship status scorecard to the development director monthly.
- Work with the sponsorship coordinator to maintain the iStaff database for sponsored staff.
- Keep the development director apprised of all campaign developments and issues in a timely fashion.
- Establish necessary campaign resources and systems to support campaign operations.
- As appropriate, organize, invite and lead donor vision trips to divisional venues with purpose of exposing and inviting attendees to sponsor and donate to staff and/or initiatives.
- Personal fundraising will be required as a part of the International Development team. Level determined on a case-by-case basis.
- This position is a U.S.-based, remote working environment with travel expected to Africa at least two times per year.
- Minimum of Bachelor's degree.
- Extensive Young Life knowledge.
- Excellent communication abilities — both written and verbal.
- Ability to interface with a sophisticated donor audience.
- Able to give spiritual leadership.
- Able to work effectively with all field staff and their supervisors.
- Able to work effectively as a team member with Young Life Africa/Middle East and Development Services staff.
- Proficiency in Excel or other reporting applications; demonstrate ability to become proficient in Salesforce and the Database.
- Young Life field experience or non-profit fund development experience required.
- Medical, dental and vision coverage.
- Paid vacation and sick leave.
- 401(k) matching plan (up to four percent).
- Pension contributions.
- Health club benefit.
- And more!
How To Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please fill out the application below and be prepared to send your resume and cover letter to Candace Grisdale.